Saturday, May 30, 2009






...Some photos of Ingolstadt, the Gothic Church and also the Baroque Church with the beautiful fresco.

Yesterday  I went to Munich for the afternoon, it was so beautiful! I wish I had a whole week or weekend there, but if the weather is good on Monday I'll go back with my hostfamily. I went to the Brandhorst Museum, the newest modern art museum in Munich showing works from the 20th and 21st centuries only. Of course no photography was allowed, but the collection was fantastic! Warhol self-portraits, an Elvis, a Marylin, and some other very famous pieces. Also some great Damien Hirst installations, a fantastic collection of Cy Twombly paintings and sculptures(perhaps my new favorite artist?) and a lot of other really fascinating work.
In the bookstore there I bought a book called The Secret Life of Syrian Lingerie all about the booming lingerie trade in an otherwise extremely conservative muslim country. There are some HILARIOUS photos, as well as some really interesting essays about the dichotomy of religion and sexuality, exploitation and empowerment of women's bodies, and what life is like beneath the veil and beyond stereotypes.

1 comment:

  1. Ah... beneath the veil and beyond the stereotypes! Great line, and a topic of continuing interest, certainly. Great pics, too.

    ReplyDelete